A Lady Named Popper


By Jeffrey Moss Charles


December 2019


 


When I first spotted her crossing the street,


I thought she was crying,


It was those green-hazely watery eyes,


Looking right at me,


Like she had a question.


Her red and white, faded t-shirt read,


"Rawhide Down"


That was Reagan's nickname, and what they said,


When Hinkley shot him,


So I asked her if she was okay,


And if she needed any help,


She said she was a truck driver,


Her name was "Popper."


I said, "breaker, breaker 1-9"


She laughed, it looked like she was crying,


She was cute, but not my type,


I asked her if she wanted to be friends with


benefits,


She took off one white Top-Sider boat shoe,


And threw it at me. She missed,


I kept it and occasionally sniff it,


It smells kind of gross,


This is a cautionary tale,


Be careful what you wish for, and,


Don't talk to strangers,


The beginning of the end times two.